Sunday, February 7, 2010

Let's Get Metaphysical....

I have a problem -- ok, I have many problems right now, but that's beside the point. I'm going to depart from my normal diatribe of "OMG look how bad my life sucks" and move on to something more

I come from, let's say, a rather conservative religious background. I'm not ashamed of that fact at all. In fact, it carries me through much of what I'm going through right now. Well, sometimes. The rest of the time, I'm a formless mass on the floor just trying to muddle my way through the days....but I digress.

I've had no less than three phone calls this week from different people telling me that I need to "get closer to God." They are seeing my current crisis as a warning from God. Or that I've turned away from God. Or that I wasn't close enough to God to avoid this current issue(s). Or that I have demons. Demons?

Also, none of the people offering me these pearls of wisdom have ever come close to going through what I've gone through these past three years.

You know, I've read the Bible just like everyone else in the world, and there are plenty of examples of how God punishes people. It usually involved rather quick and untimely deaths.

Now when God decided to test people to see what they were made of, they gave them real problems. Problems that just went on for...e....ver.

I mean Job is one quintessential example of human suffering in the Bible. He lost everything. And still did not blame God for his problems.

The Israelites wandered the wilderness for 40 years (punctuated by swift punishments for those people who did some really stupid stuff, normally involving things like the earth opening up and swallowing them). They complained and whined and wrecked all kinds of havoc on God's skills of forgiveness, but forgive them he did and he eventually brought them to the promised land.

Of course Christ even VOLUNTEERED for his trials before his death (which was, in itself, a major ordeal).

So in a sick and twisted way I feel like I'm in really good company. I mean, had God thought I was bad enough, he would have had me hit by a fast-moving truck or something...oh wait...that's already happened. Silly me.

The point is, why does God cause some people to suffer while others seem to live charmed lives? I really can't tell you.

All I know is that if you have a perfect life and have never experienced what another person close to you is going through, just keep your f***ing mouth shut: you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment