Sunday, April 1, 2012

Realizations

These past several weeks since  my father's death, I've come to realize several things. Actually, just one really large thing, but it impacts how I see everything. If you don't believe in God, then stop reading now and move on to something else.

Who hasn't seen The Matrix? If you haven't, you should. Just the first one. The subsequent ones weren't worth anything.

But the concept was incredibly unique. And one that fits for this life. We are living in a temporary existence that isn't real. Anything we do here has no real impact. Our accomplishments. Our failures. How much money we have or don't have. How many children/friends/goods we have. Because the moment you leave this world, you leave it all behind. Permanently.

"Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
And naked shall I return there."

In reality, we are pretty free to do what we want. I don't believe in "predestination" and "trying to figure out what God wants me to do with my life." The people he wanted to use he normally sent an angel into their living room and made it very clear. I have received no such angel. I've not met any who has.

God gave us some very simple laws to live our lives by. The entire contents of which fit into a pamphlet sized book. Not all of the Bible is law. Most of it is history and writings. But very little of it is actually what you would call "law". How man has managed to turn it into something so complicated is beyond me. Anyone who is a true scholar of the Bible could only agree. Christ summed it all up nicely with, "And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise."

James expounded upon this with: "Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do to him it is sin."

I also do not have time to sit and read the bible all day; personally I think it would be a boring existence and not one that God expects of us. I have to work and make a living to support my daughter and myself. Most people have to do the same. But when I'm alone, I do keep a running dialogue going with Our Lord.

But I digress.

We have put so much stake into this life. Even most so-called religious people. They look at how much they "have" as a testimony to "I must be doing something right in God's eyes." When in reality, it's just a matter of how hard they were willing to work for it, or how talented they were, or how lucky they were. Usually a combination of all these.

This life is nothing more than a stop-over on the way to eternity. Having said that, I do see that it IS how we conduct ourselves in this life that will determine our eternity. My goal is to live my life so that God looks at me and says, "Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord," regardless of what I leave behind in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment